Wednesday, May 7, 2008

2007 Topps WWE Wrestling Heritage III

I'll be the first to admit it. I'm not a big wrestling fan. I'm not even that much of a casual fan. Sometimes, I'd rather watch a test pattern than witness the average match on television. It plays out like some outlandish soap opera instead of an actual match.

One of my friends is so into WWE, that he can tell me who is going to win the match before it begins and do a blow by blow commentary before it happens on screen. I've never been a big fan of scripted "reality" shows. WWE seems like one of the worst offenders in that category.

But I still enjoy watching on the rare occasion. If that makes me seem like a hypocrite, then so be it. I enjoy watching the few wrestlers from my childhood era that are left and the few from the early nineties that I remember watching with my WWF addicted friend.

When I saw the pack opening on A Pack A Day in January, I fell in love with the idea of this set. Especially the Undertaker card. I used to love watching the Undertaker when he first started as that character. I would get caught up with the match and root for him draw power from his urn and win. It just goes to show you that anyone can get sucked into watching WWE.

I love the fact that this card set takes classic designs and incorporates them into the world of WWE. The designs are from 1980 Topps baseball, 1982 Topps baseball and 1987 Topps baseball. They work to varying degrees. The real clincher is the insert set, which borrows its design from the Allen & Ginter cards.

I really don't see the need for this set, but I love the idea of it. Plus, that card of the Undertaker is the coolest card I have seen in awhile.

No comments: