Thursday, October 2, 2008

1998 Pinnacle Dare to Tear - Really, I dare ya!


Over on "A Pack A Day," I posted an article that talks a little bit about these gems. I first heard about these cards on "Cardboard Junkie" and knew I had to create an article, as it were, for TDTC! I mean, come on - cards inside cards!? What crazy fool would buy a baseball card only to rip it open and see what was inside!? Evidently, a lot of us!

Each pack has three 5x7 cards. The cards feature player pictures, a Zenith logo, the player's name in foil (gold/silver), and the team name. On the back is a different player pose, the card number, player's position, a short 'greatest stats' paragraph and some bio info. There is also an instruction sheet on how to best rip the card without ripping the little guy inside.

So what happens when you rip one?


Well, I tore off Ken Caminiti's head to find that inside Ken was Juan Gonzalez "Raising the Bar" insert. It's shiny!

Since my ultimate goal is to see which Tribers I can pull from these cards, I have a whole box that I'll be tearing into... Well, unless I save a few for trade fodder....

6 comments:

Wax Heaven said...

Nice! How many did you buy?

Spike Glidden said...

2008 A&G did a decent job hiding some parallel mini cards inside rare "Rip" cards that included a little paper zip line like you see on (some) ice cream containers. (I got one serial #'d to 99 that contained an alternate pose of another player.) This Pinnacle set looks like hard-core, say-goodbye-to-the-big card tearin!

--David said...

I found an unopened box online! I wish I could remember how much I paid though... I don't think it was bad - like $5-7, I think...

Captain Canuck said...

as always... if you find any Braves... I'll indian leg wrestle dayf for them.

--David said...

Turns out that I found DUPLICATES of Braves (I'll post the results of the box break on pack-a-day at some point), so I'll shoot them to both of you. And, Dayf, I won't bend the crap out of these like the Willis card!

Captain Canuck said...

sweet!

Thanks!