Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Baseball Card Coffee Table

A few days ago, I received an e-mail from Matt at Collected Studio. He told me about a project that he had recently done involving baseball cards and furniture. That piqued my interest.

I went to his site and found this. A detailed post about the making of this baseball card coffee table. Included is a YouTube video of the making of this piece of art.

I was digging the Animals song on the video. It's one of my favorites and I've been bugging my friend to learn it, so we can record it. That's a bit off track, but so what.

Matt sells these custom tables out of his studio, according to the video. I think this is a great way to use unwanted cards as art. We all have piles of early nineties and late eighties cards that are just taking up space. Why not sacrifice those doubles in the name of art?

Matt has done this process with everything from a lazy susan to mirrors. There's even a snack tray lined with cards and a card storage box. It just goes to show that with a little creativity, you can turn a five cent card into a masterpiece.

Thanks for sharing this project, Matt!

4 comments:

capewood said...

Cool. I could go for one of those if I was 25 years old, single, and living in a crappy apartment.

night owl said...

Late '80s and '90s, yes. But 1972 Topps! Ack!

--David said...

I concur with Capewood... Ah, to be young and free to make such a frivilous purchase again... :-)

jacobmrley said...

There is a crappy sports bar in Old Orchard Beach, Maine that has the whole bar done this way. I sat at every stool and had a beer on each one one morning just to look at them all...I am a card junkie and an alcoholic.