Sunday, May 24, 2009

Duo-Tang Topps Sports Shots Binders/Portfolios


I know what you're probably thinking... "What a horribly off-center 1989 Topps Strawberry you have there, Tribecards!" Unfortunately, you'd be wrong. You see, what you have here is a scan of a Duo-Tang Binder/Portfolio (like they sell to kids at Wal-Mart at the beginning of school to keep papers in). And the photo above is the best fit I could get the thing to stay on my scanner. To see how this ginormous 'card' compares to a standard-sized card, take a look at the next scan:


If you look very closely, you will see a standard-seized baseball card in the upper left corner. See it way up there, looking like some kind of "Fan Favorites Mini" card? Yeah, these binders are BIG, though flat with pockets in them.


Duo-Tang and Topps teamed up before with a 1988 set as well, as seen above. The binders/Portfolios measure 9-1/2" by 11-3/4" and are cardboard.


The 1988 set featured 130 players total. Some of them include Joe Carter, Robin Yount, Nolan Ryan, Tony Gwynn, Carlton Fisk, etc.


In addition to Molitor and Strawberry, the 1989 set featured players such as Doc Gooden, Mark McGwire, Ozzie Smith, George Brett, etc. The set was greatly reduced from 130 players down to 39 that year.

If there is great interest, I can post the checklists for each year, but you can find singles and 'sets' on eBay. Most of the sets you find for sale are actually compilations that someone else has assembled. The originals were sold in 50-piece boxes for retail stores to sell for $1 each. I don't even remember how I ended up with the ones I have... They will eventually be given away during one of my free-for-alls.

8 comments:

AlbuqwirkE said...

I would have interest in reading the checklists...

Pretty kool!

Anonymous said...

School supply shopping was always a blast when the supplies list was released, and I loved picking out pocket folders each year. These were my favorite pocket folders ever.

Dinged Corners said...

Sorry, we hadn't seen this when we received our Grandcards prize! Excellent post.

--David said...

I will post the checklists soon then!! Thanks for your comments, everyone. :-)

Tom said...

I had forgotten all about these. I never had any; that would have been around my juinor and senior years of high school. Speaking of which I graduated 20 years ago today. Yep...feeling kinda old now!

Aaron said...

After reading this post, I went digging in my closet and found a stack of these... I also have a 1990 Topps Mattingly. So were they made for 3 years, and if so what's the checklist for that year too?

sociallyawkwardjellyfish said...

holy crap, i used to have that darryl strawberry! oh snap, the memories!!

Unknown said...

So, how about that Duo-Tang Checklist you mentioned?

Hopefully including the 1990 set.

I have not seen a presumably valid checklist for any of these years.

Thank You...