Tuesday, August 28, 2012

A Homemade Shadow Box Card

I was flipping through the card boxes at Uncommon Sportscards and some of the cards are in those unbelievably huge screw down cases that would often hold 1990's junk wax.  As I flipped it over I was a little confused but the plot thickened.


I didn't remember Wilson Alverez having one of those cards like Rickey Henderson's 1991 Upper Deck card which showed Rickey in motion on a single non-3D card.


Instead upon closer inspection it turns out someone had three copies of the Alverez card and decided to make their very own shadow box cards.  Each version of Wilson seems to be delicately cut out and glued on top of one another.


Here's a close up on three Wilson faces on top of each other:


And here's the card's reverse side which was unaltered.


In the end, I delicately placed this masterpiece back into the box after photographing it and so you can sort through the many boxes at Uncommon Sportscards in the Twin Cities it can be yours!

3 comments:

Matt Maldre said...

Seeing this Wilson Alvarez card (and Henderson) makes me want to go to Wrigley and shoot multiple exposures of Cubs players and then cut out the player in each exposure and overlap him into one merged multiple exposure card.

I would need to find a current player's card that has only a background and no player. Since that doesn't exist, the next best thing would be to find a card of the player already doing the action that I will photograph. That way I can just paste over the current player's stance in the card. Although that would mean that I would need to get at the same angle as the original photographer--which ain't gonna happen. But maybe the angle from my seat might be close enough.

Looking back at this Henderson card makes me realize just how cool it is. It makes you wish the ol' Sportflics cards showed actual consecutive multiple exposure action.

Fuji said...

Loved it when Upper Deck did those multiple photographs cards.

Anyways... that custom Alvarez card actually looks pretty cool. Sort of makes me want to cut up some of my commons to see if I can make my own.

Unknown said...

The more commons we cut up will help increase the values!! Haha. I see guys at flea markets trying to sell these for $30 or more