Saturday, February 23, 2019

2019 Topps Now Manny Machado Relic

I like the idea of Topps Now. It's basically a card on demand system that allows you to order cards of selected events for a 24 hour window. Nice, huh?

Recently, Topps Now has gotten parallel crazy, much like their brick and mortar releases. This card is available in regular for $9.99. It also has relic parallels.

A relic parallel numbered to 99 is $39.99. A relic parallel numbered to 49 is $69.99. A relic parallel numbered to 25 is $99.99. A relic parallel numbered to 10 is $149.99. A relic parallel numbered to 5 is $249.99. A relic parallel numbered to 1 is $799.99.

Did I mention that the relic is a tablecloth?

RANT MODE ON:

Of all the idiotic, stupid, money grabbing schemes that Topps could think of, this one takes the cake! I understand game used items. It's part of the appeal of getting closer to the game. Uniforms, bats, bases, and dirt. These are all things that either were used in a game or had the potential to be. I can even see stadium seats, since that is an integral part of the game experience and the ambience of the sport. But a tablecloth that was used at the announcement of a signing? What idiot thought this was a good idea? What possible connection does a tablecloth have to the game. If you want to have a connection to a player at a major signing, take the uniform jersey that he was wearing, not the tablecloth. Did someone eat paint chips as a kid? Who the hell thought this was a good idea? They should be suspended. This relic makes me want to have a picnic, not see a baseball game.

RANT MODE OFF:

I'm glad that Manny Machado did not sign with the team I follow. I would not want to feel at all compelled to entertain the thought of purchasing this relic to complete a collection. This is probably one of the stupidest "relics" I have seen. It makes of mockery of the entire relic system. The only reason for these cards is a quick cash grab. I'm not going to judge if you want one of these cards. That is your personal preference. I just don't see a reason for it.

I'm all about living in the moment. I love the idea of Topps Now. This is a monstrosity. A travesty. A disgrace to card collecting. Those are just my thoughts, though.

No comments: