Thursday, February 28, 2019

The Card Is Mightier Than The Pen

I present to you... the "Player Used Pen Relic"!

Bryce's expression pretty much says it all. Just when I think I've found all the idiotic relics out there, I find pictures of this one. It's a 1/1, so you know it's worth something.

:::eye roll:::

At least this relic is signed, so there is some kind of value attached to the card. Pens, tablecloths... is there no end to the madness? If this is the state of the hobby, I might have the wrong hobby.

I would be a little angry if I found this in a pack of Topps Tier One. I'd laugh a little too, but that's just me. I don't necessarily want this in my collection, so what kind of resale value would something as "unique" as a pen relic have? It helps that Bryce's signature is on it. It helps that Bryce Harper is one of the most talked about players in the game at the moment. That would push the value up. What would someone be willing to pay for something like this though?

A quick scan of eBay shows that a 1/1 Bryce Harper autographed card is selling on average for $500. Does the used pen add to that value or detract from it? How much would you be willing to pay for a used pen piece? What if it what used by your favorite superstar player? How much would you pay now? What if I threw in a scowling picture of said superstar? How much would you pay? Still not convinced? Final offer. The pen piece, the scowling picture, his autograph and it's the only one out there. It's one of a kind! How much would you pay now?

It seems like Topps is trying to sell Ginsu knives on a late night commercial. Maybe Sham-Wow (it's a sham! Wow!) or something. Have the card companies grave robbed all the relics? Will Indiana Jones have to come ot of retirement to steal them all back?

As you can see, there are way more questions than actual answers when it comes to relics like this. The question still remains... how much would you pay for this card?

1 comment:

corewave said...

Thanks for sharing valuable post
Singing Talent Hunt