Tuesday, February 26, 2008

1982 Perma-Graphics All-Stars - Carlton Fisk

Maybe I was too young or too focused on other things when this came out in 1982. I'm sure it was a combination of the two. I didn't get my first pack of cards until 1983. I watched my first White Sox game in 1982. At least it was the first game that I remember taking a vested interest in.

I'm not sure what to make of this card. Does it want to be a trading card? Is it a knock-off credit card? Is it a promo? I'm not sure what this is trying to be. All, I can find out is that these cards were produced from 1981 until 1983 in various sets.

When I look up Perma-Graphics, I find a laminating company that manufactures credit card equipment. Possibly, the company thought this would be a fun way to test the equipment out. I'm at a loss as to what to think.

All I'm really sure of, is that this is a great oddball find. I haven't seen anything quite like it. I doubt I ever will again. This is a lot different than the collectible phone cards of the nineties. This feels different. It's thicker and less bendy. Plus, it just looks cooler.