Monday, March 31, 2008

A Card With A Blessing In Disguise












This was one of the lesser publicized chase cards in 2007 Allen & Ginter. It's still amazing that this card exists. But should it?

This is a gray area in baseball cards for me. I do like the variety that non-baseball subjects bring, but I also do not like the infiltration of these people into a sport specific release.

Do I need a card of a poker champion in my baseball card release? Not really. I seem to be one of the few people left on the planet who still thinks that watching poker on television is less exciting than watching paint dry. I never got it and I don't think I ever will. I can even sit through the game show "How Much Is Enough?" until the end. All that is is watching a counter move up and down.

I wonder what Mother Teresa would think of her signature being used in such a way. I doubt that she would be flattered by the prospect of her autograph being used to drive sales of an entertainment product. Who knows though, maybe she'd be cool with it. We will never know.

What exactly is the market for a card like this? Would it be the devout churchgoer? Would it be an autograph collector? A historian? A seven year old who bought a pack from his or her local card shop? Heaven only knows.

1 comment:

Dinged Corners said...

This struck me as a mighty weird card. Some clever blogger should do a "Top Ten Most Inexplicable Cards of 2007" -- I'm pretty sure this would make the list.