Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Large Tobacco Leathers - Walter Johnson

I'm not sure where this came from. Categorized as L1, Walter Johnson is number 135. I haven't been able to find much information on these.

What I have found comes from this website. Between 1913 and 1915, these could be redeemed with Turkish Trophies cigarette coupons.

There were 25 baseball players, numbered 111 - 135. Other leathers in the series included flags, college mascots, generals, girls, Indians, college seals, actors and actresses, among other assorted pictures.

I can't imagine these being very popular today, but you never know what the public will go for. I never thought Beanie Babies would fly, but there are several fanatics still out there.

I can thank dayf for letting me know about these. It's something I would never imagine being produced. I guess some people in the early twentieth century had a leather fetish. It seems a little too early to be a result of war rationing. Say what you will about these leather collectibles, but they do look nice.

No comments: